Friday, August 31, 2012

END OF SUMMER UPDATE 2


So.... like I stated previously..... I have been mulling different patterns around in my head for awhile.  A shrug and two scarves.
You know...... the design process is very organic, I never know where I am going to take myself.  It can be quite a journey.  But one that I love to take. Sometimes like any journey, you like where you have ended up and sometimes..... not so much.  Knitting is very much that way.  Especially when you are designing.  But I love it!!!
Here is what I have been working on:



1.  A shruggy kind of thing!  I wanted to knit with 100% Acrylic to see how it would hold up to what I wanted to create.  Usually I am a wool kinda girl, but, I have friends that are not, as you know.  So I wanted to create a simple yet visually interesting shrug that was (somewhat) easy to make. This is where I hear my friends laughing and saying... "easy for YOU!!!"   It has ribbing, seed stitch and cables.  And I have to say I am slightly impressed with the way the 100% Acrylic is coming out.  I chose a Red Heart yarn and it is quite lovely to knit with.


I am nearing the end of it.... I started it during the Olympics and was just flying along but came to a halt when life got in the way.... cottage, kids, stuff!!  So when it is done I will make sure to let you all know when the pattern is up and on Ravelry.


2.  I have a scarf pattern that has been mulling around in my head for sometime.  I have tried a few gauges and I think that a finer gauge suits the pattern better.  I have tried worsted, dk and now sock weight.  I do think that the sock weight (28sts) is working best.  I have been knitting it in some yarn I had lying around- a Bernat Sock Yarn that is 100% Acrylic. It is quite nice.  But I am going to be looking for a yarn that is mostly wool.  Would love to do Cashmere but the budget just won't allow.  Anyone out there with sock weight 28sts Cashmere they want to donate..........  Always glad to accept yarn :)  It is at times like this that I yearn for my own yarn store.  Or the very least input into creating yarn.... Oh the artistic freedom!!
But maybe I will order some yarn from Quince & Co.  They have such lovely yarn!  Maybe one of the following:

Finch is a lovely 100% Wool that has 28-32sts/4".






Chickadee is also 100% Wool but is slightly heavier in gauge than Finch.  It is 24-26sts/4".








Tern is 75% Wool/25% Silk.  How lovely would my scarf be in this??  It has a gauge of 28-32sts/4".





Here it is knit in the yarn I eventually used for my Easy Peazy Shawl 2.0 that can be found here & here.
It is knit here in a DK weight yarn.  But I felt that I needed a finer yarn for what I was going for.
Again, stay tuned......

The last thing that has been on my mind has been a fair isle scarf with the colours similar to a sweater in yesterday's posting.  I was really inspired by the palette.  It is one of those things that has been stuck in my brain so I had to put it to paper to help get it out of my head. 
Here is a sneak peek:


I tend to work on the computer a lot when I am designing.  I work in Corel Draw.  I learned it for work donkeys years ago and it kind of stuck with me. I use that program for everything.  I am sure that there are programs out there for knitters but this is what I have for now.
So there you have it...... Knitting, knitting and more knitting........
Have a great day everyone.
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment