Wednesday, January 16, 2013

PURL BEE- HUDSON'S BAY CRIB BLANKET

Hey Everyone!  I just wanted to share with you all a blanket that I knit for a dear friend as a wedding gift.  Although the bride and groom asked for only "best wishes", I just couldn't resist making them a little something.
For a long time I have wanted to knit The Hudson Bay Crib Blanket.  There is just something about those colours:


It is the kind of knitting that is gloriously mindless.  There are those that get bored with knitting if they are not being challenged.  I am not like that.  As long as my hands are occupied then I am pretty much happy.  If you are new to knitting or want to knit something that is super easy but looks so great when it is done, then this is the project for you.  I just wish I had come up with it first!!  I have wanted to knit this puppy for some time.  I am having trouble finding just the right yarn in my price point.  So until I can knit with the Hudson's Bay colours, I thought I would give it a go in other colours.
I decided to knit up the gift in 100% Acrylic as I was unsure about whether or not they would have a problem with any amount of wool in the blanket.  The yarn I chose for the main part of the blanket was Loops and Threads Impeccable.  Not only was it a great price point but it is a really nice, soft yarn to knit and cuddle with.  To be quite honest I was really surprised at how nice this yarn feels when it is knit up.  I used a combo of Vanna White and Impeccable for the banding:





I literally decided to make this blanket while I was in Michael's back in the middle of Dec.  I called the "bride" to ask her what colours she would like to see as an accent in her living room.  She herself is a decorator and so I wanted to make sure that the colours would be right.  However, I had to ask in such a way as not to completely tip her off.
I decided to make the blanket larger than the crib one that was called for so I casted on 180 sts.  And can you believe I totally forgot the finished  measurements??  I measured it about 3 weeks ago but I can't remember what it was. I will have to call her up and ask her to measure it.  But suffice it to say that it is a nice lap blanket size.  She was beyond thrilled with it, much to my relief.  It is always a bit tense when I give a gift that is knitted.  I know that I love it but that's not to say they will.  But, I have been lucky so far.
I wanted to give them something made with love, something that she will have forever and to have to always remind her how much she means to me.
I would make this blanket again in a heartbeat without any hesitation.  Any worsted weight yarn would do.  Just make sure that the yarn is soft and cuddly.  I cannot wait to find the right yarn to make my own "Hudson's Bay" version- not crib though.  Definitely lap size for sure.

Have a great day everyone.
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment