Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A TALE OF TAILS!!

As I have stated in a previous post I am really being inspired by colour lately.  Big, Bold, Bright Colour.  I don't know if it is a time of the year thing-being winter.  Or if it is because I am craving colour!  Either way I wanted to come up with something that would satisfy my craving for colour.  What I came up with was this:










Any guesses as to what I am going on about??  Here's another clue:



No it's not a plate of wool spagetti!!  What the above photo represents is all the tails I had to weave in after creating this:



I call him "Ziggy".  I know, I know....  I usually name my stuff after girly names.  But this time this lovely Lapghan said, "I shall be called Ziggy".  So Ziggy it is. 
He only took 5 days to make!  I would say it took approximately 25hrs + to make.  I am guessing here since I didn't keep hyper accurate time keeping.  But it sounds about right!
Ziggy is 50" x 58".  He is a great size for a Lapghan- that's a Lap Afghan!!  And in that 1st pic is all of the tails or ends I had to weave in at the end.  That is the only downside when knittng a striped project.  But the ends do look kinda pretty all bunched together!!

He was knit on size 8mm , 24"/75cm Circular Needle.  A Circular Needle was needed to accomodate the number of stitches.
The yarn used in this lovely was:



I used 2 different manufacturers to get the colours I wanted in this Lapghan.  The 2 used were: Loops & Thread Cozy Wool  and  Wool-Ease Thick & Quick.
Since this yarn is quite bulky and the needle used was quite large it knit up in no time flat.  Which for me is a good thing.  I wanted to create a project that was quick, had visual impact and it had to be relatively easy.  How easy was it you ask??  VERY.   There is only 2 rows in the pattern.  It is the kind of pattern that is easily memorized.  I will say the yarn was a dream to knit with.  If I had to pick which one I like the most I would have to say the Cozy Wool- only because it is slightly softer in feel. The only little blip I ran into is both yarns are different yardages.  When I started planning this project I was planning it based on the Wool-Ease.  Not realizing that when all was said and done I would have to buy an additional few balls so that I could keep the striping even.  For the colours Storm (light blue), Sweet Grass (green) and Golden Rod (yellow) I had to buy a 2nd ball of each.  And do you know how much I used-------  like 1 metre each!  ARGHH!!!  It was totally maddening.  But it is what it is.  That's how much I needed to finish
 that particular stripe.  Guess I'll have them for my "stash" now!  But in the end it doesn't really matter how much I needed- be it 1m or 25m.  I needed more to do the job right- and I suppose that is all that matters-
so don't get angry with  me if you only use a very little of the 2nd ball of those 3 colours!!!



















































I have uploaded the pattern onto Ravelry.  The pdf can be accessed there or at Scribd.  If you do intend on making it and you have any questions do not hesitate to drop me a line.
I hope you have enjoyed your little pop of colour for the day as much as I have.
Have a great day everyone!
Megan

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your Ziggy blanket but I guess I am one of those people that Scribd just doesn't like.
    I can never get anything to download from that site. Anyway, is there a chance I can have the pdf emailed to me? I would just love to have it!

    ReplyDelete