Tuesday, July 17, 2012

QIVIUK SCARF- FINALLY!!

Well everyone, it has been a long time coming.  Well not too long if you think in terms of geological time!  But for me to have a ball of yarn so full of awesomeness and NOT to have knitted it  already..... well.... the time has finally arrived.
As you know I bought my Qiviuk in Banff last year while we were on vacation.  We happened to go into the Banff Springs Hotel.  Goodness it is lovely in there.  Must stay there next time we go. Anyways.... we happened upon the Jacques Cartier Boutique and they not only sold clothing made with Qiviuk but they sold the yarn as well.  I just couldn't refuse.  The pattern for this scarf can be found here on Ravelry.
Enjoy the pics of this amazing little scarf:


















I can't even put into words how soft and amazing this yarn is.  And the look of it!  It has this lovely sheen to it as well.  And how soft the scarf is.  It is so light and airy.  The scarf ended up being 5" x 43".  Not huge but long enough to wear.  When I first started to make a scarf with this yarn I was finding that anything that said to use a 4mm needle was just way too big for this yarn.  I know that others had had success with it but I was having great difficulty with it.  I don't know if it is because I tend to have a looser gauge when I knit.  But whatever the reason, I knew I had to switch to a smaller needle.  The other thing was that the pattern that I originally was going to use just didn't capture me.  I found that when I tried to execute the pattern it just didn't look as good as in the photo.  Have you ever had that issue?  How I hate that when it happens!  So I set the yarn aside for awhile until inspiration hit.  And thank goodness it did.  And I couldn't be more pleased with the results.
I remember awhile back reading about someone else's struggles with knitting with a ball of yarn that was quite precious.  It was like any pattern that one would find just wasn't special enough.  The problem with that is that a project will never get finished because NOTHING will ever be good enough.  I mean, I spent $69.00 on this ball of yarn and it was the kind of thing you just don't want to mess up.  But at some point you just have to commit or you will never do it.  I am so glad I did.  I love this little scarf.  But I don't think that I will need it for sometime.  It is supposed to hit 36C today!  OY!!  I mean I like it hot but that is a little too hot, even for me.  Especially when you factor in the humidity-it is supposed to feel like 45C.  Thank God for Air Conditioning.

Have a great day everyone!!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment