Friday, May 10, 2013

FABLED SCARF-SCOTTISH FAGGOTING KNIT STITCH

Hey Everyone! Well here it is finally.....my new scarf pattern. I decided to call her....Fabled.  How did I come up with the name...well...there is both Cables and Scottish Faggotting Lace in the scarf. Cable....Faggotting......Hence...Fabled!!











A Faggoting Stitch can be found in both knitting and sewing.  In sewing it decoratively holds 2 fabrics together with a lacy stitch.


 The same effect is achieved in knitting.  What I wanted to talk about is that there are many ways to do the same stitch.
In the pic below you can see the Scottish Faggoting Stitch.  I have always been intrigued by this stitch and wanted to incorporate it in a project.  Anytime that I have seen it excecuted it would end up looking like the pic below.




Can you see that the ridges that run up and down on either side of the "lace"?They don't actually look the same.  If you look at the ridge to the left of the lace, the "v's" that run vertical looked quite defined.  If you look at the right of the "lace" they aren't quite as defined.....thus the two sides end up looking a little different from one another.  To achieve the above pattern one knits 2 stitches together on the right side and then on the wrong side 2 different stitches are purled together.  It finally dawned on me that if one were to SSK-slip, slip , knit on The Right Side instead of knit 2 together then the ridges would lay more alike. See pic below:


Here I thought that I thought of this...and well...I did...however there are others out there that thought of it before me.  I had just always seen the Faggotting executed with K2Tog only!!
I really enjoyed working with the Sirdar Snuggly 4 ply.  Like I have said previously, I don't usually knit in 100% Acrylic as I LOVE Wool!.  However, I was pleasantly surprised by this lovely little yarn.  It truly was great to knit with.  I highly recommend it.
The pattern is now up and running on Ravelry. You can purchase it here.  And as always if you have any issues or comments please do not hesitate to drop me a line...I always love to hear from you all.

So if you are looking for something a little different to knit maybe for a gift or maybe you just want to try Scottish Faggotting but were afraid to try,  then this maybe just your little project.  Have fun with it.

Have a great day everyone.
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment