Tuesday, May 28, 2013

GRAY OFFICE

Hey Everyone!  Hope all is well in your Universe. Sorry for the absence but things have been quite busy around here as of late.  I am currently helping my Man out with painting the board room of his office.  Let me just start by saying that the current colour of that said office is quite the "eye opener".  If he and his cronies aren't awake when they get to work in the morning, they certainly will be once they go through their office doors.  To say that the walls are 'bright" would be an understatement!!  I have used my fan deck to try and figure out the current colour...the closest I can get is........

Key Lime 2031-50 Benjamin Moore

Spring Meadow Green 2031-40 Benjamin Moore

Now...looking at these colours you might think, "they don't look so bright".  Well you should see them on the paint chip never mind on the walls!!!!! I am hoping that in time that we will be able to tone down the colour!  So as for the board room..... I wanted to stay neutral for the a couple of reasons.... One being the dark mottled gray carpet i there and the "neon green" everywhere else.  In fact I had to pick the colours for the board room so that they would go with the green in the office as well as the "orange" in their logo....

That colour is very similar to if not bang on with:

Sharp Cheddar 2017-20 Benjamin Moore

As you can see it is a full on Orange.  It is quite a stunning orange really.....so I wanted to make sure that the Grays that we chose would go with all of the above.
In the board room the guys have a big flat screen tv on one of the short walls.  I wanted to help "disguise" the big monstrosity of a tv.... so I suggested that we paint out that wall a darker colour to help with that.  I originally wanted to paint the two shorter walls (in length) Iron Mountain:
Iron Mountain 2134-30 Benjamin Moore

As you can see it is a gray with a warm browny undertone to it.  The carpet too has a warmer undertone to it.  However, we were afraid that Iron Mountain was reading too brown in the Board Room so I picked:

Gray 2121-10 Benjamin Moore

It reads more as a true gray in that room yet does not read as a gray with a blue undertone to it.

So today I painted the two long walls the following gray:
Gull Wing Gray 2134-50 Benjamin Moore

It really looks great in there.  And it especially looks great looking through the doorway and seeing that crazy neon green with it.  In fact it makes that crazy green look better.  I can't wait until I get the darker gray in there....that is tomorrow's job!  This really was a lesson in picking the right colour with the right undertone for a space.  Like I said ....... I think that the Iron Mountain was the best "colour match" with the rug, however, the gray that we picked best suited the whole overall space.  Tricky stuff!!

On one of the shorter (in length) walls we also painted a "stripe" of  writable paint.  When you are writing code for programs, the guys love to be able to write out ideas on a "white board".  Well a 4'x8' white board will set you back around $800.00!!!   So my Man did some poking around on the interwebs and found this great paint called Idea Paint: Create.  It is a Dry Earase Whiteboard Paint.  How fabulous it that?  It cost around $150.00 and did a swath of 5'x16'.  Plus we did up a separate board that will be hung in my Hubs own little office area.  You just mix the two parts together and roller it on.  It ends up being very shiny when it has dried.  You can use it 4 days later.  I know that they are chomping at the bit to try it but they are being good boys and are not....they want to make sure that it has cured properly.  On that wall will be the Dry Erase Paint area and a border top and bottom of the Gray.  I can't wait until everything is done and I can show some pics.  Here is an example of what can be done with this great paint:


I will let you know how well it holds up for them.  The guys were recently in Toronto at a consultants office and they had the same paint.  Den said it was awesome to see the walls covered in this stuff and to see how it helped with the creative process.  People would just stop and write, have impromptu meetings....he loved seeing that.  Being creative without restraints can be such a freeing thing!!

So now you know what I have been up too......
Will keep you up to date.

Have a great day everyone.
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment