Friday, September 21, 2012

A GIRLS GOTTA BREATHE, A GIRLS GOTTA KNIT

As I have stated in previous posts I love designing.  I especially love knitting.  It runs so deep for me.  It connects me to my creative side, it is so tactile and I suppose it connects me to my Mum.  I so wish she were still here to see what I create.  Well, she will always be with me and all, but I wish she could see what I have been able to do all because of her. Oh, please don't be sad when I speck of this, that's not what I am saying, I'm not sad or anything just a fact!  She passed nearly half my life ago now so the feelings have ebbed so that I can talk or write about such things without a lot of sadness.  I guess it's more about a lot of what ifs!!
Now back to more happier things.........

I recently was in a nearby city in a yarn store I have never been in the  Wool Bin before so I thought, what the heck we are here lets give her a go!!.  It is located in Oakville.  It isn't huge or anything but has some lovely yarn.  To tell you the truth I have been in a few yarn stores and they are all lovely to me.  God love my man and his patience when we hit one.  I have even been known to take my boys as well.  But I am well armed with DS's and books/magazines for them.  They know the drill all to well.... go in and sit down, don't talk to me and don't ask how long we are going to be!!!  Seriously! When I am in there they soooo know better.  And they actually sit really quietly too!!  Again, they know better.  There is nothing worse when you are in a store and there are kids RUNNING riot without any supervision.  Makes me noodles it does.  I mean, where's the parents??  My two know better that is for sure.  The young one may play up at home for me but at least I can take him out and he doesn't act like a Yahoo!!  Now where was I?    So I was in The Wool Bin and in the sale rack was some Rowan Wool 4 ply in the Eau de Nil colourway.




There were 4 balls in the bin.  They had a few other colours on Sale as well.  It was on Sale for $4.25.  That is a crazy good price for this yarn it is usually double that.  So we left, but I couldn't stop thinking about it.... so a few hours later I went back and bought them!!  Oh yea!!  I mean.... I just had to!!  So now what am I going to do with you my pretty??  Even though at the time I didn't know what I was going to do with it I could not pass up such a good deal.  I have been dreaming of this yarn and this colour in particular ever since I saw this in Rowan's knitting book #50.  The book is beyond gorgeous.  So many things to knit, so little time.  Rowan is one of my favourites by far!!



I fell in love with Betty, I mean love at first sight with this lovely little pullover.   I love the high waist detail, the sleeve detail and the nordic colour/detail.  And in the mag they have it paired with a velvet skirt and gloves.  Man I would love to make this and where it at Christmas time!!  The yarn itself is slightly expensive as is the pattern book.  But SO WORTH IT.  Will have to see what I can do.  So after seeing this little lovely I just had to get me some of this yarn and the Wool Bin was kind enough to oblige with a sale.  I just wish that they had had all I needed to make this puppy!!!


When it comes to yarn I am not a snob.  Either I like it or I don't regardless of Manufacturer or Cost.  I have seen some pretty expensive yarns in my day that in my opinion were garbage.  Yet others that I think are pretty darn good for it's price point.
Here are some of my favourites at a decent price point:



This yarn has a great feel to it and gives great stitch definition.  It also comes in some really great colours.  I believe it sells here in Canada for around $5.95 a ball.  Not bad for a Bamboo/Wool Mix.  It is a light worsted weight yarn.  But with Zeller's going out of business I wonder where I will get it?? Hmmmm.....










I love, love this yarn.  I have made a few things with this yarn and  I can't say enough about it.  As long as you like wool (and you know I do), then you will love this yarn.  It has such a lovely hand to it, it wears well and it feels so nice to knit with.  I think it sells for around $4.99 US, but here they gouge us for $7.99!!  But with my Michael's coupon I end up paying the US price!  Gotta love Micheal's 40% or 50% coupons!!  This yarn is a worsted weight yarn.







This is such a lovely fine gauge yarn.   Great for Hats, baby stuff and lace shawls.  It knits up so nicely with great stitch detail yet has a softness to the stitches- a slight fuzziness if you would.  I think it sells here for about $5.95 a ball.  It is 100% superwash wool.   I usually buy it at Spun here in Burlington.  This yarn is a sock weight yarn






This yarn is great for those of you and your friends that are very "wool" adverse!!  It is 100% acrylic and has a lovely sheen to it.  I have made many baby blankets out of this one.  It is so great for that and for scarfs.  I think it retails for around $4.95. But now that Zeller's is no more I am wondering where I will be able to get it??  This yarn is a worsted weight yarn




Some other of my favourite yarns that are in a slightly higher price point are as follows:


This yarn is amazing.  I can't say anymore than that.  The colours it comes in...well it's like candy when standing in front of a display of this!!  It is soft and it knits like a dream.  For those of you that aren't wool fans then maybe you should try Alpaca, it might change your mind!!  This yarn is around $8.95 a ball.  Slightly expensive for some, but oh so worth it.  I made my Easy Peazy Shawl out of it and I love it!! See it here and here.  Definitely worth a look at.  Would use it again in a heartbeat!!  This yarn is a light worsted/dk weight yarn.






This amazing yarn is what I call "the workhorse" of yarns.  You can make just about anything with it. It is a worsted yarn that is 100% Superwash wool.  It has a great hand and great stitch definition.  AND it comes in a boatload of colours.  LOVE IT!!  It is priced at $10.99 for 100g ball.  It is a light worsted/dk weight yarn.




Saving the best for last!!






This amazing line of yarn- Debbie Bliss Cashmerino also comes in DK weight.  Can I just say that it is my FAVOURITE YARN so far.  I love everything about it.  It is beyond soft.  It knits up like a dream.  The colours are gorgeous.  And you can use it for many things.  LOVE IT!!!!!  I think that it sells for around $8.95 a ball.  I can't even put into words how much I LOVE IT!!!!   If you have never used it, then please give it a go.  You will NOT be disappointed.

Well that's it for now.  I could go on and on and on.  I have been lucky enough that I haven't had too many yarns that I have been disappointed with.  Mostly, I have been very lucky and end up liking most of what I have knit.

Have a great day everyone.
Megan



No comments:

Post a Comment