Friday, June 15, 2012

OMBRE DRESSER

We bought an Ikea dresser donkeys years ago- Oh about 10 years ago now. I originally painted it white.  Now before I go any further I have to say I completely forgot to take a before shot-stupid I know!  I just got so darn excited about painting the thing!  As you all know by now, I love Red White and Blue.  And keeping with that theme I wanted to paint the dresser Ombre Navy.  For those who don't know, Ombre is when  a colour goes from one level in saturation down to another with variations in between.  You can also change he colour by "greying" it down as well.  Before I reveal my Ombre Dresser here are some examples of Ombre:



















How fun is this dresser- what a great use of Ombre here.


You know I just had to put in some yarn.




Here is the dresser:




The colour that I started with was Ralph Lauren "Harbour"

It is such a great Navy.  Very deep, Very Saturated, Very Clear.  If you are looking for a muted navy this is NOT the one for you.  It definitely has a very deep bluey/ slightly purple undertone to it.  I started by painting the body of the dresser with the full on Harbour.  I then mixed up 5 variations of the colour and painted one white.  It is a white I had lying around-bought it at Habitat some time ago-again $10.00 for a gallon.  The Harbour by RL was colour matched at my local Home Hardware in their Beauti-Tone paint-eggshell finish.  They always do such a great job-thanks again Fran!

When I finish the bedroom I will show some more pics.

Hope this gives a little inspiration to everyone.
Have a great day
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment