Friday, March 2, 2012

DINING ROOMS WITH PERSONALITY!!

For me making an impact in your home is your stamp on the world.  You get to show this world your personality.  One of those rooms is the Dining Room.  It is a place where we eat, we talk, we live!  It is a space that doesn't have to be formal and stuffy (although that's OK too).  You can add so much personality here.  A lot of times people play it safe.  Well I am going to show you some amazing dining rooms with loads of personality.  Enjoy:


This is a room that has been out there for some time now.  As I have stated in the past, I am traditional when it comes to decorating.  But there are times when I really want to break out of the box as it were and be a little more eclectic.  I love this room.  Could be because of the rug.  Could be because of those beautiful blue drapes or maybe its the sunny yellow chairs.  Either way, it all adds up to a room with loads of personality.  We should all strive, no matter our budget to make something that is truly us.  I know what the trends are- I need to but really when it all comes down, make your home your own.  You live there.  Make it with your personality!  If I were to start with a room colour for this room I would choose either Decorator's White CC-20 or White Dove OC-17.  But remember the colours I am picking are a starting point.  It all depends on the light in your room.







Now that is personality!  Those black stripes are so graphic.  It looks as though the black used is a true black.  You may want to choose Benjamin Moore Space Black 2119-10 with Decorators White CC-20 or Ultra White CC-10.  Love that every chair is a different colour too!






This is such an attainable look for anyone.  The pillows can be purchased at a HomeSense/HomeGoods, or if you sew, buy inexpensive fabric-it is just a square after all.  The Monrovian Star Pendant can be bought at Shades of Light.  It is such a great site for lighting.  The rug is the tricky one.  Will have to look around for that one!!







This dining room by Meg Braff is so fresh! So bright.  This is such a great example of adding bright colours but just enough so that it is a small hit.  The chairs shine against such a stark background- Gorgeous!
For a similar look try Benjamin Moore Decorators White CC-20.  A similar fabric to use on the chairs:

The above fabric is special order but is available where ever Thibaut Wallpaper books are available.  I didn't want to choose the same fabric as what was used on the chairs but wanted something slightly different but with the same feel.






Seriously Wow!!  When I first had this pic pop up I literally said Wow out loud- good thing I was alone.  My kids think I am strange enough, they don't need to see me talking at my computer!!!  Joe Nye is such a master of mixing.  This room is visually stunning without using "bright" colours.  This is a great example of adding impact without brightness.  The wallpaper used is by Gracie Wallpaper.  If you have never heard of Gracie you should check them out- BEYOND STUNNING!!!!  Trying to find and economical equivalent is to put it mildly- A NIGHTMARE!!  To achieve this look as Joe Nye has, one has to purchase VERY expensive wallpaper.  Chinoiserie wallpaper is expensive and is a look that is timeless.  And thank goodness it is- one can't be throwing around that kind of money everyday!  Another option is to have a decorative artist paint a similar motif on the walls- still expensive but less than the wallpaper.  I have tried to find wallpaper that will give a similar look for a lot less. 









I wish I could find more- but it is very hard to recreate this look inexpensively.  I am going to keep looking and when I find a source I will let you know.







The above wallpaper on the ceiling is Malabar by Cole and Sons.  I LOVE Cole and Sons wallpaper- they have some of my favourites.  They have been very popular the past few years.  I guess people have figured out what some of us already knew- they totally rock!!




I know Pink isn't for everyone- but this dining room by Suzanner Kasler is stunning.  I remember seeing this particular dining room some years ago and I remember being slightly speechless when I saw it- yes it can happen!!  The colour used is Checkerberry by Glidden/ICI.  It is a full on pink- very pretty!  You could also try Bayberry 2080-50 by Benjamin Moore for a similar colour!




Now, I pick this dining room as an example of understated elegance that is loaded with personality!  By adding a wallpaper with sheen it adds a whole lot of texture to the room.  Not to mention that gorgeous ceiling and beautiful chairs.  For a similar look try this wallpaper:


This is such a gorgeous wallpaper.  I would pair it with either of the following to be painted on the ceiling to achieve a similar look as in the photo:


Benjamin Moore Liquid Silver PT-100

Or

Benjamin Moore Aspen Mist PT-380
These 2 paints are Studio Finishes by Benjamin Moore.  They have a pearlescent finish.  Either one would look stunning with a subtly metallic wallpaper.


Well  I have shown you just a few rooms with loads of personality.  I will be doing more in the future.
Have a great day everyone.
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment