Thursday, April 5, 2012

BUTTONS, BUTTONS EVERYWHERE!!

I just love buttons!  I am not sure why?  I think maybe it has to do with the fact that they are small but pack a big punch.  I love all kinds- plain, colourful, bejewelled and covered.  I would have to say that my favourite by far is the covered button.  Again, I am not sure why this is.  I just think that maybe it is the endless possibilities that one has when covering a button.  Plus I think it's a tactile thing.  This is especially true of Velvet covered buttons.  Here are some pics of my favourite buttons:



How wonderful are these felt covered buttons?  I mean, how happy do these make me feel??  They are so wonderful-love all the colours- happy colours everyone!







How lovely is this?  I really think the covered button just adds to the whole flower- Love it!!








Ah Covered Buttons-aren't they lovely.  You can pick any fabric as long as it isn't too bulky! 
















I love Gingham-as you know from a previous posting on the subject- so these little lovelies make my heart smile!




More Gingham-More happiness!!








If you can sew a button on to fabric then you can do the above!







You can take the covered button idea one step further and embroider the fabric before you make the button-what a great idea!!







How amazing are these little lovelies??  Don't ya just want to touch them? I love velvet for it's tactile properties!










Loving all the colours mixed together- I think I especially like this pile of buttons because of the colours- red, white and blue!!!







I love how these are presented.  I also love all of the colours and the way they look together.  So pretty!









I think one of my other favourite buttons is Shell Buttons.  I have such a thing for Shell buttons-either real or fake.  There is something about the iridescence that I love.  I think that because of this iridescence they tend to go with so many things.

And the great thing about buttons is that you can do so many things with them-they're not just for shirts anymore!











This necklace is so great and so easy to make- I mean anyone can string buttons.  Instant necklace-I love it!!







Just look at these antique carved buttons.  They are like little jewels.  These would look awesome framed!








Coloured ones!  Just look at them- so cute!!






Mixing it up a little adds interest!





Here are some crafts with buttons:














Love this "Heart Pillow.  So cute!!  And so easy!  Well at this point my friends would be humphing and say-"easy for you"!!  Well it is easy- either make the pillow are buy one ready made and sew on some buttons- not brain surgery.  Everyone-and I do mean everyone should be able to at least sew on a button-life skills people!!  You don't need to know how to sew a wedding dress but you should at least know how to thread a needle and sew on a button.  I am going to make darn sure my boys can do at least that much!!!







Such a great craft for the home that anyone can do- can you glue- yep!!  Then an awesome, unique lampshade you can have!







Other button crafts/DIY:



How awesome is this- a bouquet that will never wilt!!






A button curtain. Now that's a lot of buttons and a lot of stringing!!  But it is amazing if you have the patience!







So cute and charming!







And here is one of my collections of little buttons.  I actually just bought them last week.  I bought them in...... Walmart of all places!  Imagine!!  I have an idea of what I want to do with some of them so stay tuned.  The little bowl that is housing them was part of a set of bowls my lovely man bought me for my birthday some years ago- I love them!  They are the Nigella Egg Bowls.  Here is a couple of more pics:



Just me fooling around with the camera.  I just really liked all of these colours together-happy place colours!










This little lovely flower pin was made by me.  I found a flower petal pattern on the net- sorry I can't remember which one.  I then proceeded to make 3 of them in different sizes.  I then sewed them one on top of the other.  Then I added a gingham covered button (I covered the button myself) to the center of the flower.  I then sewed a latching pin to the back -  you could also glue a "rare earth magnet" to the back of the flower and then use another rare earth magnet to then attach where you like on your clothing. Basically sandwich what you are wearing between the magnet and the flower with the magnet. The advantage with using magnets instead of pins/safety pin is that you don't end up puncturing your clothes.  I use this trick especially if the top I am wearing is especially delicate.  The magnets are super strong- whatever you are wearing will not fall off.  You can get them at Lee Valley.  

Well that's it for buttons for now- I am sure that I will be revisiting these great little objects in the future.
Have a great day everyone.
Megan

1 comment:

  1. I love them too! They can make a boding shirt, dress, etc., look cute, dressy, fun!

    ReplyDelete