Tuesday, April 17, 2012


Ever since I created my little French Stripe Dishcloth I wanted to create a Tea Towel to go along with it.  I love dishtowels.  Especially ones that are red and white.  So I went about creating one that mimiced my favourite ones.  And I have to say I am pleased with how well it turned out.

This little lovely is one of my favourite Tea Towel's.  I love the different types of weave that are in it- waffle and twill.  Not only does this add texture but it also makes the towel more absorbent.  This texture provides more surface area for the towel to soak up the water off of what you are trying to dry.  I know that this Tea Towel isn't too fancy schmancy or anything but I do love it's texture and it's colours.

So I wanted to go about making a pattern that would mimic this towel.  So this is what I came up with:

I must say I am thrilled how it turned out.  It wasn't too difficult to come up with the pattern.  Just Stockinette Stitch and Waffle Weave plus some striping.  If you can knit and purl, you can knit this little lovely.

The yarn I used was Viking of Norway Bjork

It was a delight to knit with.  It has such a nice feel to it when you are knitting it.  I couldn't resist making this towel with this yarn.  Even with it's 10% Merino Wool in it.  The other content is 90% Cotton.  I figure that I will just wash and hang it.  I could probably dry it in the dryer but I will probably hang it. It is less likely to shrink and to cause the fabric to fade.  When I went to look for the yarn for this project I wanted a fingering weight yarn. Which means I wanted a yarn that was fairly fine- around 25-28 sts/4".  I wanted it that small so that the waffle knit part of the towel would be fine.  I suppose I could have done it in lace weight-but it would have taken like foreva!! 
The pattern can be found here on Ravelry and on Scribd.
I purchased the yarn at Spun here in Burlington.  It took 3 balls to make- 1 Red and 2 White.  Each ball was $5.95.  So when all was said and done it was around $20.00.  Yes, a little pricey for a Tea Towel but it would make a great hand made gift.  Plus I so wanted to attempt this. 
As always, if you have any issues with the pattern or need help-just drop me a line and I would be more than happy to help.

Anyways, that's it for now.
Have a great day everyone

1 comment:

  1. On the pattern, after the first stockinette section, it says I should be on the RS to begin the waffle knit, but I'm on the wrong side. I've counted the rows over and over in the pattern, and it seems like you would always land on the wrong side. I've just done an extra row in red to get to the right side, but I'm wondering if there is a mistake or if I'm just losing my mind. Haha :)