Tuesday, August 7, 2012

KNITTING AND THE OLYMPICS!!

Everyone who knows me, knows that I am slightly obsessed with the Olympics.  I LOVE watching the Olympics.  I LOVE watching both the Summer and the Winter Games.  There is just something about watching people do their damndest that is great to watch.  Take Paula Findley for instance.  She is a Canadian Triathlete.  In fact she, until she injured her hip a year ago, has been one of the best.  She hasn't competed for a year.  Now, you can sit there and say maybe there shouldn't have been such hype around her returning to competition.  Everyone knows that if someone has been away from their sport that it may be a long road back no matter how one is feeling.  If you saw Paula compete, then you would have seen how upset she was.  At the end she of her race she was crying and saying to everyone how "Sorry" she was.  I say to Paula, "you have absolutely NOTHING to be sorry about."  She and many of the athletes in the Olympics do something that many of us will never, ever experience:  One, the level of competition they compete at,  Two, the level of dedication to their "craft",  And Three the level of scrutiny of that said craft.  I cannot imagine being under that kind of microscope.  They are type "A" personified!  I do get that- sort of!  My heart broke for Paula.  She came in last, which is something that has not happened to her in a long time- if ever.  She did something that 99% of us could never do.  And yet she felt so bad that she felt that she had let everyone down.  So that alone sets her apart as far as I am concerned.  To push ones body, mind and soul the way she did- My complete admiration goes out to her.  I couldn't have been more proud of her as a Canadian, EVEN if she had won.
You see......  for me the Olympics is not about Hero Worship.  In my ideal world of sport it is about being the best you can be- Cliche?  Maybe.  But the Olympics is a competition like no other.  I have watched World Championships, Wimbledon, Nationals.  But the Olympics!  Now that is special.  It is a place where we come together.  You root for people you have absolutely no connection to.  You root for your country.  Heck, you root for people from other countries.  It brings out the best in so many people.  Maybe I watch through Rose coloured glasses.  Maybe!  But it is a set of "glasses" I gladly wear for 2 weeks.  I just wish we could carry all that love, pride and hope with us for more than 2 weeks every 2 years.  Well..... that's my wish anyways.
So what does this have to do with design?  Well........  During my many hours on my butt watching said Olympics I can't just "sit" there.  I watch and KNIT!!  I think it kinda drives my boys crazy.  But I just can't sit there, I have to be doing something..... So I am knitting this:

This tunic is by Josh Bennett.  The pattern can be found in Fall 2011 Vogue Knitting.  You should check out his other designs on Ravelry. I Love them.  I have always been a huge fan of Vogue Knitting.  I still have all the Vogue Knitting Magazines I have EVER had.  There are sweaters in some of them that may be 20 years old that still Do "IT" for me.  I wandered away from Vogue Knitting for awhile- got to "out there" for me.  But it seems that they have gone back to some basics.  For awhile a lot of their designs were not flattering or were way too fashion forward.  I couldn't imagine anyone knitting them.  But I am glad to report they have greatly improved.  Hopefully this will keep up.

I started the Tunic Fri. and am 2/3 done.  It is a really quick knit.  It is knit on sizes 4.5mm and 5mm needles.  I am knitting with this yarn:



This is the yarn for the main colour.  Sheep(ish) by Caron.  I am knitting it in the Gunmetal(ish) colourway.  It can be found at Micheal's for $5.99CAD.  But if you have a coupon, you can get 40% off.

The yarn I am using for the stripe is:



The yarn is Amazing by Lion Brand.  The colourway is called "Aurora".  And it looks just like the ball above.  You can find it at Michael's for $9.99 CAD.  But again, you can get a coupon online for 40% off.  So with that coupon it makes this lovely tunic quite economical.  Especially since the yarn has Wool in it.  I started knitting it with 100% Acrylic- Vanna Choice- again from Micheal's but I really did not like the feel of it or the drape of it at all!!!!
I am hoping that I will be done in the next few days.  Will keep you posted.  Plus I want to get my butt going on all the painting I have lined up!  Plus I want to get going on that bath mat I want to design/knit.  Oh to have a little more time in the day!!!

Anyways, that is what I am up to.  Stay tuned for projects that get completed over the next little while.
Have a great day everyone.
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment