Monday, April 8, 2013

MASTER ENSUITE-YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL

Hey Everyone... Hope all is well?  I came across this renovated house that is for sale here in Burlington.  At first glance it does indeed look to be well renovated.  I do like how they have updated the exterior:


In the late 60's into the early 70's Burlington grew.  And when it grew, the style of homes that were built were like the one above- a lot of Side Splits, Raised Ranches and Back Splits.  Burlington is full of them.  It can be quite a challenge to update them and make them interesting from a design point of view.  I really like what the Contractor did to update this Side Split.  I myself have not been a fan of Side Splits in the past, however, with updating like this, one can change their mind.  Hopefully you will go on over and have a peak at the other photos of this reno.  They certainly updated this 70's yawner.

However, what I wanted to talk about with you all today is when one is going to renovate ones Master Bath, when do you put the brakes on the wants vs. what will fit and look/function well?

When I saw this reno'ed Master Bath it made me think about this issue.  I know that some of us are not lucky enough to have a large enough Master Bath to have all the bells and whistles- two sinks, a tub, a separate shower and a toilet.  But, where do you draw the line when you could possibly squeeze all that in yet maybe you really shouldn't?  The Master Bath in this house, I feel, is a case in point.
I will give the Contractor kudos for trying to tic all the boxes to provide the new home owners whoever they may be all the bells and whistles.  There are those out there that will tell you that you have to have it all in order to upsell a house.  But to me it all looks a little too much in too little a space.  The reason I bring it up here is so that others who may be looking to renovate their bathroom may think a little bit before proceeding to cram a whole lot into a space that really may not hold it.
I and my husband are in the process of thinking of renovating our Master Bath.  Currently it has a sink, toilet and a shower stall.  Not very pretty, but functional.  And really that is what we should be talking about and that is function.  Here is that Master Bath from the house above:







Now to me it looks like you couldn't swing a cat in there- I can't say for sure but everything looks like it is in there pretty tight.  Now it looks like they took an existing bedroom and split it between a walk in closet and a now Master Bath.  All well and good.  However, being the crazy design person I am the placement of the tub and the placement of the toilet would make me noodles- here's why.  If you look in the first pic you will see how crammed in the toilet is with regards to it's placement next to the casing of the window- they must have heaved a sigh of relief when that fit!  And if you look at the placement of the tub it is off center with the window- not a deal breaker for some- however, it would make me noodles every time I saw it.  But that's just me.  And that's the point really.  You have to be honest with YOURSELF in terms of what YOU are willing to forgo or to deal with when you have a limited space and a whole lot of wants.  I am sure that the people that buy this lovely house will not be bothered one bit by these little details.  However, I am a detail kinda gal.
So once again I am not coming down on someone's very hard work.  I am just pointing out certain design issues so that if someone out there reading this is looking to renovate their bathroom, they may just think a little harder on what their wants vs. needs are.
In the world of renovating to sell, it is a tough market.  People are very jaded and have a lot of wants.  If the Master Bath does not have both a tub and a shower stall they may walk away from the deal- so I get it.  The Contractor made a decision to provide both so that it would appeal to a wide range of people.  But where do you draw the line between pandering to the public and making wise design decisions??  A question that is asked every day by many and one that is hard to answer.

Have a great day everyone.
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment